Tuesday, April 17, 2012

Apr 17, Freedom Of Speech

http://redtape.msnbc.msn.com/_news/2012/03/13/10657012-up-against-the-wall-should-district-be-allowed-to-demand-middle-schoolers-facebook-password

If your school can demand you to give up your facebook password, how much further can they go? I just read an article about how a middle school in Minnesota has demanded a twelve year old girl to give them her own personal facebook password. Due to making a status saying she "hated" the monitor because "she was mean to me," she was called into the principles office and was showed a screenshot of the incident. She was then given a detention and sent out. But that's not all, she then posted "I want to know who the f%$# told on me." Again, she was called back into the principles office, and this time was suspended and banned to go on the class trip. Still not done, a couple months later, a mother complained about how she was talking about sex with another girl. Eventually being called into the counselors office, she was met up with a police officer and a variety of school officials. They demanded her of the facebook password once again without even parental consent. To me, this article is very messed up in so many different ways. It makes me afraid of whether or not they could demand my password from me if I was to be in a similar situation. I think that since none of this happened on school property, they shouldn't be aloud to do much about it. If anything, they should have asked to see the facebook page, and not demand her private password. If she wants to post things as minor as "I hate the monitor, he's mean to me," she should be aloud to do that. I don't think any school officials or teachers should even be aloud to see students facebooks, it's honestly a little creepy to me. Unless it was a more serious matter like bullying, the school shouldn't be able to get involved.

No comments:

Post a Comment