Tuesday, March 27, 2012

March 27, News Article

http://shine.yahoo.com/beauty/miss-universe-canada-disqualifies-transsexual-contestant-she-born-192000420.html

I read an article about how Miss Universe Canada officials have just banned a 23 year old transsexual because she wasn't born a woman. Jenna Talackova was 1 out of 65 different woman chosen, and the contest is owned by Donald Trump. Talackova isn't giving up though. She's calling it a human rights issue and has many supporters by her side. She stated "All I can say is that they disqualified me because I'm not 'natural born. "[That] doesn't make sense because since I was conscious, I always felt this way." So far, over 21,000 people have signed a petition demanding she be aloud to compete. I feel that even though they shouldn't have had that be a rule to begin with, Talackova should respect that that was their rule from the start and she probably knew that going into the competition.

1 comment:

  1. Nice post. I agree that since the rule was already in place, it should be respected. However do you feel that the rule is discriminatory and should be changed? I know there are specific contests for transgender individuals that this contestant could enter. But should there be separate contests or should they be allowed to enter mainstream pageants?

    ReplyDelete